MAX16141 3.5V to 36V Ideal Diode Controllers with Voltage and Current Circuit Breaker
The MAX16141/MAX16141A, ideal diode controllers, provide system protection against a variety of system faults, such as reverse current, reverse voltage, overcurrent, input overvoltage/undervoltage, and overtemperature conditions. The wide operating voltage range of 3.5V to 36V, combined with 5µA (typ) of shutdown current, make the MAX16141/MAX16141A ideal for automotive applications. An integrated charge pump drives the gate of the back-to-back external nFETs 9V above the source connection, minimizing power loss between the source and the load.
A fast-acting comparator allows the MAX16141/MAX16141A to block reverse-current flow within 1µs (max) of the input falling below the output voltage. An external current-sense resistor between RS and OUT provides overload monitoring capability. Two input pins, OVSET and UVSET, provide set points to protect against input overvoltage and undervoltage events using a simple resistive-divider.
During startup, the MAX16141/MAX16141A monitor the voltage drop across the external nFETs (VIN - VOUT) and the load current for overcurrent fault to ensure VOUT is greater than 0.9 x VIN. Once the startup event is complete, the MAX16141/MAX16141A are ready to protect against systems faults. During normal operation, some systems experience brownouts or short interruptions of power. To ensure smooth system recovery from these interruptions, the MAX16141/MAX16141A include a secondary power input (VCC) to keep critical circuits alive. When the main input power recovers, the MAX16141/MAX16141A enable the gate in fast mode (70µs, typ) to charge the output capacitor.
Both devices feature a low-power mode that is enabled with a logic input. In low-power mode the devices allow limited current flow from source to the load. For the MAX16141, the low power mode is enabled using an active low logic input, active-low SLEEP. For the MAX16141A, the lower-power mode is activated using an active-high logic input (SLEEP).
Additional features include an internal switch that isolates the monitoring from the UVSET and OVSET resistive network in shutdown mode to help minimize system power loss.
- Automotive Power Systems
- Network/Telecom Power Systems
- PoE Systems
- RAID Systems
Features and Benefits
- Wide Voltage Range
- 3.5V to 36V Operating Voltage Range
- -36V to +60V Protection Voltage Range
- Eliminates Discrete Diode Power Dissipation
- 5µA (typ) Shutdown Mode Current Reduces Battery Drain
- Sleep Mode Provides up to 400µA Load Current
- TERM Switch Reduces Power Consumption
- Isolates Failed Supply from Load
- Bidirectional Current Blocking on Open
- Bidirectional Voltage Blocking on Open
- Current Protection
- Factory-Adjustable Overcurrent Trip Thresholds
- Factory-Adjustable Reverse-Current Trip Thresholds
- Resistor Adjustable Overvoltage and Undervoltage Trip Thresholds
- Automotive Qualified
- Operates down to +3.5V, Riding out Cold-Crank Conditions
- -40°C to +125°C Operating Temperature Range
- N-Channel MOSFET Gate Driver of VIN + 9V
- Fault Output
- UVLO, OVLO, Overcurrent, Reverse-Current, Battery Reversal, and Thermal Shutdown
- AEC-Q100 Qualified MAX16141AAF/V+T