LTC4416 LTC4416-1 36V, Low Loss Dual PowerPath Controllers for Large PFETs
The LTC4416/LTC4416-1 control two sets of external P-channel MOSFETs to create two near ideal diode functions for power switchover circuits. This permits highly efficient OR’ing of multiple power sources for extended battery life and low self heating. When conducting, the voltage drop across the MOSFET is typically 25mV. For applications with a wall adapter or other auxiliary power source, the load is automatically disconnected from the battery when the auxiliary source is connected.
The LTC4416 integrates two interconnected PowerPath™ controllers with soft switchover control. The “soft-off” switchover permits the users to transfer between two dissimilar voltages without excessive voltage undershoot (or VDROOP) in the output supply. The LTC4416/LTC4416-1 also contain a “fast-on” feature that dramatically increases gate drive current when the forward input voltage exceeds 25mV. The LTC4416 “fast off” feature is engaged when the sense voltage exceeds the input voltage by 25mV. The LTC4416-1 enables the fast off under the same conditions and when the other external P-channel device is selected using the enable pins.
The wide operating supply range supports operation from one to eight Li-Ion cells in series. The low quiescent current (35μA per channel) is independent of the load current. The gate driver includes an internal voltage clamp for MOSFET protection.
- High Current PowerPath Switch
- Industrial and Automotive Applications
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies
- Logic Controlled Power Switch
- Battery Backup System
- Emergency Systems with Battery Backups
Features and Benefits
- Designed Specifically to Drive Large and Small QG PFETs
- Very Low Loss Replacement for Power Supply OR’ing Diodes
- Wide Operating Voltage Range: 3.6V to 36V
- –40°C to 125°C Operating Temperature Range
- Reverse Battery Protection
- Automatic Switching Between DC Sources
- Low Quiescent Current: 35μA per Channel
- Load Current Sharing
- MOSFET Gate Protection Clamp
- Precision Input Control Comparators for Setting Switchover Threshold Points
- Open-Drain Feedback Points for Customer Specified Hysteresis Control
- Minimal External Components
- Space Saving 10-Lead MSOP Package